Freelance translator applications
PortLingo is a rapidly growing translation company that is always welcoming new talents to join our pool of professional translators, revisers, reviewers and other language professionals. Before you send us your application however, there are a few things we’d like you to know about our vendor selection criteria and requirements for our subcontractors.
First of all, we receive many vendor applications daily, and regretfully, we don’t have the resources and time to go over every one of them. So before you reach out, please make sure that you meet the minimum criteria that will allow you to pass through our initial screening phase.
Translation vendor selection criteria
You need to have at least one of the following:
- You have a recognised qualification in advanced translation studies and at least two years of documented translation experience.
- You are an expert in a certain domain (e.g. IT, technical sciences, legal, finance etc.) and have at least three years of documented translation experience.
- You are a real language professional with more than five years of professional translation experience.
NB! To avoid scams and malicious applications, we also ask you to send us a copy of your diploma. These documents will only be used to validate the trustworthiness of your application.
If you get a pass on this, it’s obviously a good start! At this point, we’d like to share a well-guarded secret that our love and priority goes to the prospective candidates who:
- Are also ‘well-acquainted’ with at least one CAT tool (e.g., memoQ, SDL Trados Studio, Across, Transit, Memsource, Smartling etc.)
- Can share the contact details of at least two clients who are ready to vouch for your translation expertise. Regretfully, at this time these must be real companies or organisations, and we won’t be able to accept referrals made from general emails, such as Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail etc.
- Make us feel special, the same way we try to do with all our partners. The chances are high that our vendor management team won’t be so keen on considering standard mass emails or being cc’ed with one hundred other translation companies! Please also state your mother tongue and language variation clearly (e.g., Brazilian Portuguese, Latin American Spanish, British English etc.) as PortLingo will consider your application for translation and localization assignments into your native language only.
Terms & conditions
PortLingo is a technology-driven translation company, and we are very passionate about making things easy. So please look into our terms and conditions before you press the ‘send’ button on your email account.
- The file exchange mainly happens through our vendor portal. This means that you’ll have to download the files from the portal and upload them back once your job is completed.
- We sometimes send out automated availability checks from the system to see whether we have the resources to complete the client’s project in time. While we prefer personal communication at all times, your collaboration and quick response (yes or no) would be highly appreciated.
- We do not accept invoices that are sent to us by email, regular mail or otherwise. Our invoices are paid automatically, which means that you need to create your invoices online. It’s fast, easy and very efficient. We accept just one invoice per month, and our standard invoice payment terms are ‘end of the month + 45 days’.
- Sometimes we may ask you to complete a short ‘pilot project’ or an unpaid test translation of up to 250 words to make sure that your professional skills and language expertise are in line with our expectations.
Last but not least, by sending in your application, you also grant us your permission to process your personal data for the purpose of being considered for remote freelance translator work.
Sound good? Please email us your CV and rates at team[at]portlingo.com, and our vendor management team will take it from there. We look forward to working with you soon!